- Approximate height: 30cm (12 inches)
- Recommended water depth over crown of plant: 0 - 10cm (0 - 4 inches)
- Flowering time: June to August
- Flower colour: Brown seed heads
- Supplied in the 9cm pot we grow them in - for best results we recommend potting on using a 1 litre pot
This is an attractive little rush with slender foliage rather like that of a miniature iris. Brown globular seed heads are produced in summer (which have sometimes been compared to tiny hedgehogs, hence the name!). It is easy to grow and its size makes it a good choice for the smaller pond, as one of the few rushes that are in proportion in that situation.
It isn't a plant that will seed everywhere but you will occasionally get seedlings turning up in adjacent plants; if you really don't want this, trim off the seed heads as they go over.
If designing a planting scheme, we recommend approximately 4 Juncus ensifolius plants per square foot of ground, or 2 plants per linear foot of pond edge. Read more here on how to pot and care for your plant.