- Approximate height: 30cm (12 inches)
- Recommended water depth over crown of plant: 0 - 10cm (0 - 4 inches)
- Flowering time: June to August
- Flower colour: Brown seed heads
- Supplied in the 8cm pot we grow them in - for best results we recommend potting on using a 1 litre pot
This is an attractive little rush with slender foliage rather like that of a miniature iris. Brown globular seed heads are produced in summer (which have sometimes been compared to tiny hedgehogs, hence the name!). Easy to grow and a good choice for the smaller pond. It isn't a plant that will seed everywhere but you will occasionally get seedlings of it turning up in adjacent plants; if you really don't want this, trim off the seed heads as they go over.
If designing a planting scheme, we recommend approximately 4 Juncus ensifolius plants per square foot of ground, or 2 plants per linear foot of pond edge. Read more here on how to pot and care for your plant.